Friday, April 3, 2009

Mrs.Katz and Tush


Mrs.Katz and Tush by Patricia Polacco is a story about the friendship that forms between old woman named Mrs.Katz and her neighbor, a young boy named Larnel. Larnel gets to know Mrs.Katz when he asks her to adopt an abandoned kitten. She agrees and makes him promise to help her take care of it because she has never had a cat before. Mrs.Katz names the kitten Tush because it has no tail. The cat is the starting point of a wonderful friendship between Mrs.Katz and Larnel. Larnel goes over to Mrs.Katz’s home every day not just to see the kitten but to hear her wonderful stories. This reminds me of a neighbor who lived across the street from us growing up. She was a widow like the woman in the story and she loved having my brother, sister and I over. She never had any kids because her husband died young and the rest of her family lived in a different state. She became a part of our family and treated us like we were her grandchildren. When my mom started working she used to watch me before and after school. She walked me to the bus stop every day and made sure I got on safe. I looked forward to seeing her after school at the bust stop again, where she would be waiting for me. Now she is in a nursing home but my mom goes to visit her every week and when I’m home I also make sure to go see her. This story has a special place in my heart because I think friendships with elderly people are so important. Many times they are lonely and nothing can make them feel appreciated more than spending time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment