Friday, March 6, 2009

The Misfits Part 2

The second half of the Misfits by James Howe was also exciting! Bobby stepped up and spoke in front of the whole school on behalf of the party he started. I really liked how his character developed throughout the book. We found out a lot about where he was coming from when they explained the death of his mom and the reason behind eating peanut butter fluff sandwiches.
Bobby just seems like such a selfless twelve year old. Even after he delivered an awesome speech he remembered to credit his best friends. I was disappointed that they didn't win the election but in reality they probably wouldn't have. I know if a party like that had stood up in my middle school and delivered an awesome speech, people would have left and still voted for the most popular person in school. That's just how middle school is for many people. I liked that even though they lost the election there was still a no name day that year at the school.
We learned more about Mr.Kellerman's character in the second half of the book. I wondered why he left the store so abrubtly and once I heard it was because his mom passed away I felt sad. I'm not looking forward to the day when I lose either of my parents. Bobby and Mr.Kellerman finally had two things in common their names and the death of a mom.
I was kind of shocked that Colin didn't like Addie because he liked Joe. I did not see that coming, I thought that Colin liked Addie. I was happy that atleast DuShawn liked her so she didn't have to go to the dance alone. In the end everything seemed to work out for the "gang five". I don't think James Howe could have had a better ending.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed hearing all your comments about The Misfits by James Howe. I agree with you when you said the book could not have ended better. Each member of the "gang of five" got their happy ending. It was nice to see that students can make such an impact on other students. My only issue I had with the ending was the Joe and Colin situation. You said you did not see that coming, and I did not as well. I think it is awesome that Colin ended up liking Joe as well, but I do not see that as very realistic. I am not sure if they were saying Colin is gay as well, but thats what i perceived it as. It seems too perfect to me that the guy Joe likes is gay as well, and that of course he would like Joe. In my mind it seems odd that the only two guys who are gay, or that we are aware of, end up liking each other. Just because someone is gay, does not mean they will automatically like someone else because they are gay as well. It is just the same as girls do not like every guy they see. Though I thought this situation was unrealistic, I still enjoyed that things worked out for Joe,and he was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi-

    I really liked your post. I was glad to see that I was not the only one who enjoyed the ending. At first, I felt the same and was upset that they didn't win the election. But then I realized that the ending was the most realistic way to complete the book. I really liked that it showed that even though they lost the election, they still came out winners. I, however, did see the whole Colin thing coming! I was so excited when Joe and Colin ended up together instead of Joe being left alone.

    ReplyDelete