Thursday, March 26, 2009

So Far From the Bamboo Grove



So Far From the Bamboo Grove by Yoko Kawashima Watkins was a touching story about a family's struggles during war. I read the forward of the book and immediately was intersted in this family's story. Looking back on what I read, I especially liked that the book switched back and forth between Yoko's journey and her brother, Hideyo's journey to Japan. I was deeply touched by some of the horrors that Yoko and Hideyo observed while trying to flee Korea. Yoko was such a strong young girl during unbearable times. I cannot imagine being hurt from the blast of a bomb and continuing to travel on foot to a different country. It would be so scarey to lose hearing in one ear. I did not realize her injuries were so bad until she reached Seoul and met with the doctor. Then I felt guilty for thinking she complained alot. I'm sure if I was her age and maybe even at my age now, that I would complain of pain, hunger and thirst on that long of a journey. It must have been really scarey being a Japanese family in a time when Korea was wanted to punish the Japanese. I cannot imagine all the fear a person would, constantly wondering if they would live to see the next day. Hideyo also showed remarkable strength and courage for survival. I felt like I was right next to Hideyo when he was hiding in the box at the factory. I almost closed my eyes to hide when the boot of the Korean soldier was right next to where he was hiding. It would be so frightening to see the people around you get shot with a machine gun. It would also be hard to travel alone on a long journey freezing and with barely any food to eat. Atleast Yoko had her sister and her mother although her mother does not live very long after arriving in Japan. It was so sad when the mother passed away on the bench in Japan. I cannot imagine going through something like this and then losing my mother. Yoko's mother seemed week for awhile, she was probably holding on to life as long as she could for the sake of the girls. Once she realized they were safe and in school and that her parents were dead she could not fight to live anymore. I felt so sad for Yoko and her sister, Ko. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to be a young girl with no parents, home, or food in Japan. They were so strong to carry on as best they could and attend school. My heart went out to Yoko when the girls at her school made fun of her by calling her "trash collector" and "rag doll". I think she would have quit school if it weren't for the janitor, Mr.Naido. He was such a sweetheart to Yoko and vice versa. This book was excellent and I it is definitely something I would read again and recommend to other readers. I felt so strongly for the characters by the end of the book I left wanting to hear more. I have unanswered questions running through my head. For instance, I wonder if Yoko's luck turned around once her brother joined them in Japan. And what happend when her father returned five years later? Did she continue to go to the school with Mr.Naido? Did she keep in touch with Mr.Matsumura? So Far From the Bamboo Grove truly was a touching story that helped me to be thankful for the life experiences I've had and the loved ones in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment